The Riverside Arena in Moose Lake gets a facelift for 2017.
Communications Director / Secretary
Minnesota Ice Arena Managers Association
Like us on Facebook: Minnesota Ice Arena Managers Association
Follow us on Twitter: @miamarinks
Name: Jon Erickson
Organization Name: Sartell Youth Hockey Association
Address: 1109 1st Street South
City: Sartell State: MN Zip: 56377
Phone #: 320-240-9233
Tell us how you got into the industry? I worked at the WH Hunt Arena at UWRF while playing college Hockey
How many years have you been in the ice arena industry? 19 years, 4 at Hunt Arena and 15 years at Bernicks Arena
What type of Ice Resurfacer does you facility operate? Zamboni 546 Propane, 2014
What type of Ice Edger does your facility operate? Olympia, Gas
What is the size of your ice sheet? 200’ x 85’
What type of floor do you have in your facility? (Sand/Cement/Other) Cement
What is the best part about working in an ice arena? Being around Hockey
Using one word, name one thing you love about working at a rink? Kids
Nobody’s perfect in this industry. Tell us your worst experience at a rink so far? I had one of my Drivers take out the Zamboni gate, knocking it off the hinge and breaking the glass.
What are the first three things you do when you get to the rink each day? Arena Inspection, answer emails and make a job list for my employees of jobs that need to be done for the day.
How do you feel ongoing professional development is helping you and your career? It helps a lot. I wish I could get to more. Being the only full time employee makes it difficult to get too.
How would you explain to the average hockey parent how the ice resurfacer works to resurface the ice? The Zamboni uses wash water first to fill holes and cracks. Then shaves the ice, and then uses the water and towel to smooth it out.
Career highlight or accomplishment you are most proud of? Since we are privately owned by the Youth Hockey Association, staying on Budget and starting our Spring Fundraiser, Hairball Concert for capital improvements. We have been able to buy the Zamboni, dehumidification, elevator, RO Water, new flooring, do the refrigerant change out and upgrade our Air monitoring system all from our spring fundraiser.
Advice for making it in the sports industry or for someone wanting to be a Zamboni driver? Do not be afraid of doing what you love. Try to get as much experience you can ,when you are young by working at a Ice Arena or sports complex.
Who would you like to acknowledge for helping (mentoring) you along the way? Grant Fitch, from STMA, we have very similar rinks.
What certifications have you attained within the industry? (STAR classes, ISI classes, etc) I am a level 3 Star Operator.
What is the best tip you have learned from any of the classes offered through MIAMA? I really do not have one specific tip. I seem to be learning something new every day, from classes, m
-- Jon Balvance Communications Director Minnesota Ice Arena Managers Association www.miama.org www.rinkfinder.com Like us on Facebook: Minnesota Ice Arena Managers Association Follow us on Twitter: @miamarinks
Jon Balvance Communications Director Minnesota Ice Arena Managers Association www.miama.org www.rinkfinder.com Like us on Facebook: Minnesota Ice Arena Managers Association Follow us on Twitter: @miamarinks
Minnehaha Academy: Ice Arena & Transportation Manager
Minnehaha Academy is a Christian school and a ministry of the Northwest Conference of the Evangelical Covenant Church of America. Our mission is to provide a high quality education integrating Christian faith and learning.
Minnehaha Academy is seeking to fill the role of Ice Arena and Transportation Manager. This position is approximately a 10 month position, primarily school year months. It is benefit eligible and includes a tuition remission package for enrolled dependents.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with colleagues, contract providers, parents and students
- Ability to prepare and manage an annual budget for the ice arena and transportation operations while negotiating and managing contract bids to meet needs of the school
- Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive parent/student inquiries and reported disciplinary issues
- Ability to gather contract bids, determining best fit for the transportation needs of Minnehaha Academy with knowledge of state regulated policies on student transportation
- Ability to work with the Minneapolis Public School Transportation Department regarding Non Public School Transportation Reimbursement
- Understanding of or able to quickly learn the management of an ice arena, ensuring proper regulations and procedures are followed; will include some weekend work during ice season
- Market the ice arena to its full capacity, including school needs and external rentals such as the current Learn to Skate Program with Minneapolis Public Schools
- Prior management of programs and people preferred
- Previous school transportation and/or ice arena management experience preferred
For questions, contact:
Bonnie Anderson – Director of Human Resources
3100 W. River Parkway
Minneapolis, MN 55406
Minnehaha Academy is an EEO/AA employer